From: Geoffroy Thierie
Sent: Thursday 1 December, 2011

Dear Mr Follett,

I write to you for two reasons. First of all I would like to thank you for the many hours of reading pleasure you gave me (I have read 12 of your books). I like the way you write, the way you’re able to involve the reader through thousand pages with a good story, strong characters well defined and of flesh and blood, with a good mixture of action, emotions, accurate historical information, romance, sex etc.

Secondly, you are one of the few English authors who, through their books, allow foreigners (I am a Belgian living in Luxembourg with Dutch as mother tongue) to improve their English in a pleasant way. At least that is my experience. You have a way of writing which I would define as at the same time ‘easily accessible’ and ‘complex and rich in vocabulary’. Once one has gained a certain level of English one can quite easily read your books and follow the story without having to stop every three lines to consult a dictionary (except for your description of the architectural details of cathedrals in ‘The Pillars of the Earth’, where you made me suffer :-)). At the same time, I learned and discovered a lot of new words in English because you have a way of being generous with words, a way of enrich your language with a lot of synonyms without ‘overkilling’ a text or making it hard to read.

I am currently reading ‘Fall of Giants’, which, in my opinion is one of your best books. I wish you a lot of inspiration for the second and third part of your planned trilogy and I hope to meet you one day and shake your hand at one of your signings.

Kind regards,

Geoffroy
Luxembourg