From: Sherri Bell
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 9:12 PM

As soon as ‘Pillars’ came out in paperback many years ago, I began to offer it as a reading choice for my seniors. Though I had a few parents who were more than ready to have my teaching certificate confiscated for offering a book with sex, violence, and language, I have never regretted my decision to offer the book as a senior reading option.

I teach students who are classified honors or gifted and talented. When they first see the novel and its length, they are skeptical about ever finishing it. However, most are thoroughly hooked after the prologue. As they read, they want to talk about the book. I often have parents who want to read ‘Pillars’ as well because they can’t remember their children ever being that excited about a book.

However, the true mark of power your book possesses is when I have students tell me that ‘Pillars’ is the first book they’ve read cover-to-cover since entering high school. I can’t begin to count the number of students who have been turned on to reading by that one book.

Thank you!