Ken is a member of various organisations that promote literacy and writing, and is actively involved in various organisations in his home town of Stevenage.
- Fellow of University College, London (1994)
- Fellow of Yr Academi Gymreig – the Welsh Academy (2011)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- President, Dyslexia Action (1998-2009)
- Chair, National Year of Reading (1998-99)
- Chair of the Advisory Committee, Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) UK (2003-)
- Board Member, National Academy of Writing (2003-)
- Trustee, National Literacy Trust (1996-)
Appointments in Stevenage
- Patron, Stevenage Home-Start (2000-)
- Vice-President, Stevenage Community Trust (2002-)
- Governor, Roebuck Primary School & Nursery (1998-)
- Edgar Award, Mystery Writers of America, 1979 (Eye of the Needle, Best Novel)
- Corine Award (Germany) 2003 (Jackdaws, Readers’ Prize)
- Olaguibel Prize, awarded by the Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos Vasco-Navarro for contributing to the promotion and awareness of architecture (January 2008).