On the day after Halloween, in the year 1327, four children slip away from the cathedral city of Kingsbridge. They are a thief, a bully, a boy genius and a girl who wants to be a doctor. In the forest they see two men killed.
As adults, their lives will be braided together by ambition, love, greed and revenge. They will see prosperity and famine, plague and war. One boy will travel the world but come home in the end; the other will be a powerful, corrupt nobleman. One girl will defy the might of the medieval church; the other will pursue an impossible love. And always they will live under the long shadow of the unexplained killing they witnessed on that fateful childhood day.
World Without End is the sequel to The Pillars of the Earth. However, it doesn’t matter which you read first. The second book is set in the same town, Kingsbridge, but takes place two hundred years later, and features the descendants of the original characters.
Listen to Ken’s view of World Without End
Excerpts and more
Listen to an excerpt
- “Follett takes you to a time long past with brio and razor-sharp storytelling. An epic tale in which you will lose yourself.” — The Denver Post
- Another first-class novel… a remarkable achievement. Prepare to be amazed! — The Lancashire Evening Post read on…
- Patience is a virtue that this slab of a saga rewards… — The Independent read on…
- What a week for Ken Follett. His new book, World Without End, lands in the #1 spot on hardcover fiction; The Pillars of the Earth, published 18 years ago, takes #10 on our mass market list. — Publishers Weekly read on…
- Fans of The Pillars of the Earth who have been calling for a sequel won’t be disappointed. With all the intrigue and romance of the original, World Without End is well worth the 18-year wait. — New York Daily News read on…
- You really care what happens to the people in this story: you live and breathe the characters from their childhood and, in some cases, share the secrets they’re all so desperately hiding. — Daily Express (UK) read on…
- A huge book in every way, sweeping and yet detailed, a powerful story packed with superbly drawn characters… — Choice magazine (UK) read on…
- #1 on Der Spiegel paperback bestseller list (January 2010)
- Topped the French Livres Hebdo paperback bestseller list (January 2010)
- Topped the Belgian bestseller list (November 2008)
- #1 on The Sunday Times paperback bestseller list (19 October 2008)
- Topped the French bestseller list within a week of publication (October 2008)
- #1 on The New York Times bestseller list (28 October 2008)
- #1 on The Globe and Mail bestseller list (26 October 2006)
- #1 on the Booksellers New Zealand bestseller list (26 October 2008)
- #1 on the Entertainment Weekly bestseller list (26 October 2008)
- #1 on the Publishers Weekly bestseller list (22 October 2008)
- #1 on The Wall Street Journal bestseller list (13 October 2008)
- #1 on the Sony e-book best-seller list in the USA (13 October 2008)
- #3 on The Sunday Times best-seller list (28 October 2008)
- #2 in Spain (English edition, 17 October 2008)
- #3 in Germany (English edition, 17 October 2008)
- Topped the Italian best-seller list within a week of publication (October 2008)
The Italian edition, Mondo Senza Fine, is published by Mondadori.
The Dutch edition, Brug naar de Hemel, is published by Van Holkema & Warendor.
The Spanish edition, Un mundo sin fin, is published by RHM.
The Catalan edition, Un món sense fi, is published by Edicions 62.
The German edition, Die Tore Der Welt, is published by Lübbe.
The Hungarian edition, Az idõk végezetéig, is published by Gabo.
The Danish edition, Uendelige verden, is published by Cicero.
The Norwegian edition, I all evighet, is published by JW Cappelens.
The Brazilian edition, Mundo sem fim, is published by Editora Rocco.
The French edition, Un monde sans fin, is published by Robert Laffont.
The Swedish edition, En värld utan slut, is published by Albert Bonniers Förlag.
The Polish edition, Świat bez końca, is published by Wydawnictwo Albatros.
As of February 2015, around 11 million copies have been bought.