Three people learn of an undiscovered Modigliani: an ambitious young art historian in Paris, a distinguished London dealer and a gallery owner with a financial crisis and a discontented wife. No holds are barred in the fight for possession. Meanwhile an angry young painter plotting revenge executes a brilliant forgery. And an idealistic actress becomes involved in a Robin Hood-style enterprise. The lives of masterpiece hunters, forgers and thieves inexorably collide.
I was almost good when I wrote The Modigliani Scandal and Paper Money. They were the last two novels before I found success with Eye of the Needle, and were written under the name ‘Zachary Stone’. By this time my storytelling skills had improved, and these books have more depth than my earlier efforts. They are too short, however, the characters have no past and the action often moves too quickly for the reader to enjoy.
For hard-core fans, I have allowed these two to be republished in most countries, but included a preface for each emphasising that they were early works. I was afraid I might get a lot of mail from disappointed readers, but in the event I didn’t get any. People seem to enjoy them, so they can’t be too bad.
Listen to Ken’s view on The Modigliani Scandal and Paper Money
Read the first chapter
Listen to an excerpt
The Modigliani Scandal by ‘Zachary Stone’ Collins, London, 1976. Published in the USA under the name Ken Follett.
- The United States and Canadian edition is published by Penguin Random House
- The British and Commonwealth edition is published by PanMacMillan
- The Danish edition, Modigliani-affæren, is published by Cicero
- The Dutch edition, Het Modigliani schandaal, is published by Boekerij
- The French edition, Le Scandale Modigliani, is published by Le Livre de Poche
- The German edition, Der Modigliani-Skandal, is published by Bastei Lübbe
- The Hungarian edition, A Modigliani–botrány, is published by Gabo
- The Italian edition, Lo scandalo Modigliani, is published by Mondadori
- The Norwegian edition, Modigliani-skandalen, is published by Cappelen Damm
- The Polish edition, Skandal z Modiglianim, is published by Wydawnictwo Albatros
- The Portuguese edition, O Escândalo Modigliani, is published by Editorial Presença
- The Russian edition, Скандал с Модильяни, is published by AST
- The Serbian edition, Skandal s Modiljanijem, is published by Evro Book
- The Spanish edition, El escándalo Modigliani, is published by Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial
Also published in other languages, and available as an audiobook and as an ebook.