Edge of Eternity, the sweeping, passionate conclusion to the Century trilogy, is #1 on the bestseller lists in the USA, UK, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
Throughout the ‘Century Trilogy’, Ken has followed the fortunes of five intertwined families — American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh — as they make their way through the twentieth century. Now they come to one of the most tumultuous eras of all, the enormous social, political, and economic turmoil of the 1960s through the 1980s, from civil rights, assassinations, mass political movements and Vietnam to the Berlin Wall, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Presidential impeachment, revolution — and rock and roll.
East German teacher Rebecca Hoffman discovers she’s been spied on by the Stasi for years and commits an impulsive act that will affect her family for the rest of their lives… George Jakes, the child of a mixed-race couple, bypasses a corporate law career to join Robert F. Kennedy’s Justice Department, and finds himself in the middle not only of the seminal events of the civil rights battle, but a much more personal battle of his own… Cameron Dewar, the grandson of a Senator, jumps at the chance to do some official and unofficial espionage for a cause he believes in, only to discover that the world is a much more dangerous place than he’d imagined… Dimka Dvorkin, a young aide to Nikita Khruschev, becomes a prime agent both for good and for ill as the U.S. and the Soviet Union race to the brink of nuclear war, while his twin sister Tania carves out a role that will take her from Moscow to Cuba to Prague to Warsaw – and into history.
As always with Ken, the historical background is brilliantly researched and rendered, the action fast-moving, the characters rich in nuance and emotion. With the hand of a master, he brings us into a world we thought we knew but now will never seem the same again.
Listen to an excerpt
Timeline of major events
- What Follett has achieved in these novels is remarkable, juggling plots and characters and timelines while keeping the pages turning over the course of three long but very satisfying books. — Erik Spanberg in The Christian Science Monitor.
- He is able to create characters so vivid it is easy to keep them alive in our mind… What is most impressive about this book and the two that preceded it, is the fact Follett never forgets he is telling a story. The historical events are the backdrop but the characters are the focal point. Good storytellers know this and Follett is an excellent one. We can only anxiously anticipate what he will present to us next. — Jackie K Cooper in the Huffington Post
- This mesmerizing final installment is an exhaustive but rewarding reading experience dense in thematic heft, yet flowing with spicy, expertly paced melodrama, character-rich exploits, familial histrionics, and international intrigue. — Publishers Weekly, 23 June
Behind the scenes
Watch a series of videos where Ken discusses his research.
- On The Trail of History for Edge of Eternity, Part 1
- On The Trail of History for Edge of Eternity, Part 2
The struggle for civil rights in the United States — retracing the route of the Freedom Riders.
- The United States edition is published by Dutton/Penguin
- The British and Commonwealth edition is published by PanMacMillan
- The Canadian edition is published by Penguin
- The Brazilian edition, Eternidade por um fio, is published by Sextante
- The Danish edition, På kanten af evigheden, is published by Cicero
- The Dutch edition, Kou uit het oosten, is published by Unieboek
- The Italian edition, I giorni dell’eternità, is published by Mondadori
- The French edition, Aux portes de l’éternité, is published by Robert Laffont
- The German edition, Kinder der Freiheit, is published by Lübbe
- The Hungarian edition, A titánok bukása, is published by Gabo
- The Norwegian edition, Pa grensen til evigheten, is published by JW Cappelens
- The Polish edition, Krawędź Wieczności, is published by Albatros
- The Portuguese edition, No Limiar da Eternidad, is published by Presença
- The Spanish edition, El umbral de la eternidad, is published by RHM
- The Swedish edition, Evighetens Rand, is published by Albert Bonniers Förlag